Steeped in history and myths, the gems of Nemea are the next big thing in the international wine scene. Be one of the first to discover them. “Meet Dionysus” and discover the ultimate wine experience in Greece.
Get immersed in the Greek wine culture. Meet Dionysus!
Allow us to let you in on an incredible secret: A little over an hour’s drive from the centre of Athens, Nemea has been producing king-worthy wines for more than 3.500 years. Back then its main, red-as-blood, variety was called Fliasion and it was the stuff that fuelled the crowds at the Nemean games –i.e. the Olympics forerunner. It was also a favourite of King Agamemnon during the Trojan war. Accounting for its characteristic ruby colour, legend has it that the local grapes were soaked with the blood of the mythical Nemean Lion –the terrible beast that was slain by Hercules on his first labour. This wine was continuously produced throughout the aeons, though with the advent of Christianity it was re-baptized Agiorgitiko, which translates to Saint George.
Though Agiorgitiko is indubitably the star of Nemea, its heterogeneous terroir, with altitudes ranging from 300m to 1000m, offers a vast diversity of wines: From light white wines and sparkling wines, up to the most age-worthy reds.
Strewn with citrus and olive groves set against imposing mountains, this luscious Napa Valley-like region is an ideal place to get a taste of Greek wine country, discover the secrets of winemaking, sample some rare gems and pick up a few bottles to take home.
What To Expect
- Starting Point: A chauffeur-driven private vehicle will pick you up from your location
- Drive south to Peloponnese (short stop at Corinth Canal)
- 2 Wine Estates Visits: Vineyards & Winery Guided Tour & Winetasting
(Other Winetasting updrade options available below)
- Archaeological site and museum of Nemea
- Drive back to Athens
- Ending Point: Drop off location
- Private Wine Expert-Oenologists, English speaking
- Private Transport by Luxurious Mercedes Vehicle (no taxi)
- Hotel pick-up & drop-off (Athens City & Coastal)
- English Speaking Chauffeur – “Tour Insider”
- Admission Tickets: Priority – Skip the Ticket Booth Lines
- On Board: bottled water, snacks & refreshments, WiFi, mobile/tablet chargers
- All taxes, fuels, tolls, vehicle insurance, parking fees and handling charges
- Customizable “tailored to your wishes”
- 24/7 Customer Support
- Personal expenses, lunch, dinner
- Tips and gratuities
- Private State-Licensed Tourist Guide, English speaking. She/he will escort you for the entire tour/day expert oenologists
- Guide’s other Languages: Deutsch, Español, Français, Pусский, Português, 中国, Italian, Japanese, Turkish,Romanian, Arabic, Swedish, Dutch, Greek, Serbian, Croatian, Slovenian, Polish
- Vehicle type/class upgrade (e.g. Limo, MiniVan, Limo VIP MiniVan, Minibus)
- Distinctive wine experience programs designed and led by expert oenologists
- *Exclusive Wine Tasting Options:
- Guests seeking a next-level experience
- Wine Tasting & Olive Oil Tasting
- Guided Tour & Premium Wine tasting
- Guided Tour & Wine tasting, Meal
- Cellar Private Vertical Tasting
- For bookings including the extras/upgrades, please fill in the Request Form or send an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Archaeology, Culture & History, Food & Drink, Kids Friendly
- The tour is held in English. For other languages, please send a request.
- The tour is private and can be customised to your wishes and whims
- We offer only Private Tours, therefore some of them are directly bookable for later dates because they are subject to availability. If you wish to book a tour at an earlier date, please fill in the Request Form or send an email at email@example.com
- If you have any special requirements please advise us (e.g. accessibility, health issues, wheelchair, child seat, etc)
- Now before you visit: Comfortable clothes & hat, athletic walking footwear, sun block cream & sunglasses